Advance Parole


As a general rule, anyone who is not a US citizen is subject to an immigration inspection each time it applies for admission to the country, even if it’s a permanent resident.

Depending on your immigration status or if you have any pending application for immigration benefits, certain travel documents may be required to be admitted to the country. For the above, it’s important to obtain the proper documentation before leaving the United States.

Foreigners present in United States with a pending immigration process must make sure before traveling to another country if there is a requirement for them to request an Advance Parole before leaving. And this applies whether it’s to cross into Canada or Mexico, to a town right next to the border with the United States and for only a few hours.

What is an Advance Parole?

It’s a travel permit, an advance permit for re-entry to American territory. It’s an essential requirement so that some foreigners who are in the United States can travel outside the country and return, without having an immigrant or non-immigrant visa.

The Advance Parole also allows foreigners who have applied for Adjustment of Status or some other benefit to keep the application while outside the United States.

What is the importance of having the Advance Parole before traveling?

It’s very important that foreigners process this travel permit before leaving American territory because if they don’t obtain it before traveling, they will not be able to re-enter upon their return, unless they have a valid visa.

Similarly, the government may consider that the alien abandoned his pending application for immigration benefits. When this happens, the person has to start the immigration process again. To do this, he must resort to the Consular Process in his own country.

Who should apply for the Advance Parole?

This permit can be requested by all foreigners in the United States who wish to travel outside the country but are in any of the following situations:

  • They have been admitted as refugees or asylees.
  • They obtained TPS Temporary Protected Status.
  • They have a pending asylum application.
  • Have received benefits under the family unity program.
  • They have a pending Adjustment of Status application.
  • They received a T Visa or U Visa.

Who is not eligible for Advance Parole?

Some foreigners residing in United States aren’t eligible to obtain this travel permit. This includes:

  • Foreigners without valid immigration status.
  • Beneficiaries of a private bill.
  • Foreigners with exchange visas, subject to the foreign residence requirement.
  • Possessors of a valid reentry permit unless it’s returned to USCIS or proven to have lost it.
  • Foreigners in deportation proceedings, even if they fall within the categories of TPS, T Visa or U Visa, Asylum, etc., with the exception of DACA beneficiaries.

How is the Advance Parole requested?

To apply for the Advance Parole, the first thing you must do is fill out Form I-131: Application for Travel Document. You must be careful to check the correct box, since this document is also requested for cases in which a re-entry permit or a travel document is requested.

How long does it take to process the Advance Parole?

The Advance Parole usually arrives within 3-5 months of submitting your application.

It’s possible to request an expedited processing by dialing the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or by including a letter in the application in which documentation is attached that serves to support the request.

What are the benefits of Advance Parole?

There are 2 main benefits that are obtained through Advance Parole:

  1. Allows the foreigner to return to the US after leaving the country without the need to obtain a visa.
  2. Keep your application for adjustment of status pending with USCIS.


At Tramites de Inmigracion USA Corp we have extensive experience and trajectory in immigration law and we have an excellent team of accredited lawyers specialized in immigration procedures, who will make sure to provide you with the best legal advice in your immigration process.

Contact us and get advice from our experts and you will be closer to achieving your goals!

Contact us at 1 (786) 776-7152 or 1 (786) 786-5088.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.
We use Cookies...
Estamos aquí!
¿Dudas sobre nuestro Servicio?
¿Quieres que conversemos tu caso para agendar un cita?